Make Happiness at Work Your New Year’s Resolution
Happiness at work really? It is possible and we will show you how. There are ways that we can make the workplace a more enjoyable and happy place to be. We do spend the majority of our lives at work, so why not make the most of it? It’s all in your attitude and the way you perceive the workplace. You can either be miserable every day or you can be happy and share positive vibes with those around you in your place of employment.
I am going to list a few of my very own personal experiences and what I have done in the past to ensure that my day, and that of my coworkers, is a happy one. Clients will feel the happiness as well and just might want to copy what you are doing once they see how these easy happiness strategies work. Share the love!
7 Ways You Can Increase Happiness at Work
1. Positive Quotes, Images and Photos On My Desk– One of my favourite things to do (of all times) is finding positive quotes and images to increase happiness at work. I love to post these all over my work space. I post positive quotes, positive images, photos of my kids, and my husband, anything that I am going to look at that will either inspire me or someone else. I have had so many people compliment my positive quotes and images in the past in my work spaces and tell me that it makes them feel welcome and happy.
2. Share With Others – Sometimes I will drop a positive quote or image off at a friend’s desk. This works especially well if I know that they are having a bad day or going through a tough time. It feels like instant happiness at work for a colleague. It’s nice to put a smile on someone’s face unexpectedly! Sometimes I put a sticky note on a co-worker’s computer screen, or leave a note on their desk or even put up a sign that is larger so everyone can enjoy it. My favourite is THE SMILEY FACE! I love smiley faces…they ROCK!! Believe it or not smiley faces make everyone smile…no matter who it is! I like to put a smile on people’s faces and it really doesn’t take much. As the old saying goes: “It’s the little things in life that make a huge impact!”
3. Bring in treats! Who doesn’t love treats? Especially when it’s unexpected! I have often brought in cookies, or candy or even coffee for my co-workers. It’s not a big deal for me to do so, but it is for them. Currently, where I work, we have treats on hand at all times. My co-worker is an incredible human being and she always brings things in for us to share in the office.
4. Say Something Positive – One positive comment to a co-worker, boss, client or person in the office goes a long way. It could be something as simple as commenting on what they’re wearing, or patting someone on the back for an awesome presentation or just thanking them for all they do. Spread some positivity, say something nice to someone. It doesn’t take much. You could even just say hello to someone you pass in the hall all the time that works in the same building as you. You may not work with them but you see them often, and never talk to them. Look them straight in the eye and say HELLO and SMILE! It takes 2 seconds and you could totally change that person’s day. You never know what people are battling from moment to moment.
5. Plan a Team Building Event, or a lunch – Do this just because! There doesn’t need to be a special occasion to plan a team building event or invite your co-workers to lunch. Pick a date and send out an email. You could even have a pizza party in your company’s conference room if timing is tough. Having a good relationship with co-workers is very important.
6. Engage in Conversation – Talk to your co-workers. Say hello, ask how they are doing? Ask about their family, their pet, or if they had a nice weekend. Saying hello and showing interest in someone can make a big difference.
7. Start a social committee – I like to think of the social committee as the Happiness Committee. These are very simple to start. You can have a night of bowling and invite people to attend. You can have a volunteer day, or coordinate donations days (this does not have to be money, it can be clothing, a food drive or charity bake sale) Do something good for society and your community and give back. Help out at a soup kitchen, or the Ronald McDonald house, you can volunteer at a nursing home as a team, you can help out at an animal shelter, St. Vincent de Paul Society, etc. There are so many different things you can do as a social committee and it doesn’t need to involve spending money. Happiness is not about money it is about doing things for others that makes you and others feel great!
Happiness Spreads Fast Once You Try It!
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many ways that you can make your workplace a happy place. You never know who’s life you will change by being the happy person, the smiley person, the go-getter, the social butterfly, whatever you want to call yourself. Be that person that makes a difference in someone’s life, or even in the workplace. I am that person and strive to always try to make everyone smile whenever I can. Be the change!
So how you are going to make a happy workplace where you work in 2019? Sign up for your 365give Challenge membership and get lots of ideas how you can make your work place happier!