20 Simple Ways to Give Love and Spread Kindness for Diwali
Diwali is the biggest and most important holiday of the year in India. Known as “the festival of lights” its name is derived from the clay lamps used to symbolize inner light protection from spiritual darkness. Originally a festival for Hindus, it is now celebrated by much of India and is akin to Christmas in the Christian nations.
There are many ways to celebrate Diwali including worship, fireworks, sharing sweets and lavish meals, and lights. It is the perfect celebration to give love and to spread kindness with others.
20 Ways to Give Love for Diwali
Here are ideas for home, work, school, your community, and ways to share love and kindness to animals and to ourselves, all wrapped up in a list that makes it easy for anyone to spread happiness this holiday season.
Give Love at Home:
- Make homemade cards to give to friends and family
- Make sweets and treats to share with neighbours
- Organize family games to share time
Give Love in the Community:
- Donate clothes and essentials to local shelters
- Volunteer at local food banks or food shelters
- Plant a tree or plants in the neighbourhoods or at local parks
Give Love at Work or School:
- Write notes of appreciation for colleagues or teachers
- Organize a charity drive to collect donations for a cause
- Arrange a small surprise celebration to recognize co-workers or school staff for their work or achievements
Spread Kindness Online
- Send messages to distant friends and family
- Participate in online fundraisers or charity evets
- Share positive messages on social media to inspire others
Spread Kindness to Animals
- Donate or volunteer at a local animal shelter
- Provide food or water for stray animals in yours or other neighbourhoods
- Adopt or foster a pet to provide a safe, loving home for an animal in need
Self-Kindness and Self-Love
- Practice mindfulness or mediation to promote inner peace
- Engage in hobbies or activities that bring joy or happiness
- Reflect on personal growth and set positive intentions for the future
Spreading kindness and giving love to your friends, family, colleagues, and to yourself are great ways to share the joy of the Diwali celebration. Also showing this love and kindness for animals deepens the effect you can have on spreading happiness in this joyous season.
Read more about celebrating Diwali: