10 Ways to Support and Celebrate Women in Your Community
International Women’s Day (IWD) is a global celebration of the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. It is celebrated annually on March 8th to commemorate the struggle for women’s rights, equality, and suffrage. Let’s support and celebrate the women in your community on this special day!
History of International Women’s Day
The first International Women’s Day was celebrated in 1911, when more than one million people in Europe participated in rallies and other events to demand equal rights and suffrage for women. Since then, the holiday has grown in size and scope, with countries around the world recognizing and celebrating the accomplishments of women.
IWD is an important day to recognize the progress that has been made in the fight for gender equality, as well as to draw attention to the challenges that still remain. This year the UN focus in on DigitALL: Innovation and Technology for Gender Equality. It is also a great opportunity to recognize the contributions of amazing women in our lives, whether they are friends, family members, colleagues, or mentors. So, take a moment this International Women’s Day to acknowledge and celebrate the accomplishments of women everywhere.
Here are 10 ideas to support, honour and celebrate women in your life and in your community:
- Attend a local event honoring International Women’s Day! Many communities will have events such as marches, panel discussions, and workshops focused on celebrating and advocating for women’s rights.
- Donate to a local organization that supports women. Consider donating to a women’s shelter, a mentorship program, or a scholarship fund.
- Volunteer with a women’s organization. Many organizations rely on volunteers to provide services and support to their members.
- Amplify the voices of women in your community. Share the stories and perspectives of women in your community on your social media channels, or even in person.
- Show your support for women in leadership roles. Attend town hall meetings, vote for women in elections, and speak up for female politicians.
- Give a gift to a woman in your life. Show your appreciation for the women in your life by giving them a special gift or card.
- Educate yourself on the issues facing women today. Read books, articles, and watch documentaries that discuss topics such as pay equity, reproductive rights, and sexual harassment.
- Speak up when you hear sexist comments or jokes. Let people know that this kind of language is not acceptable.
- Support women-owned businesses. Patronize local stores, restaurants, and other businesses owned or run by women.
- Celebrate the accomplishments of the women in your life. Acknowledge the successes of the women in your life and let them know how proud you are of them.
Celebrate Any Day
Take the opportunity this month to celebrate the women in your life and in your community. Celebrations can go on for the entire week surrounding International Women’s Day so it’s never to late to celebrate and encourage the women in your life.
Need other giving ideas? Check out 365give.ca for ideas for the entire year.