The World Happiness Report Ranks Canada #7 – Happy Canada Day!
Happy Birthday Canada! We have so many great things about our country to celebrate including being ranked in the top 10 of the UN World Happiness Report.
The World Happiness Report ranked Canada the 7th happiest places in the world to live and we aren’t surprised. We get to wake up every day to our countries natural beauty, we are inclusive of all cultures and religions from around the globe and we are known for being “sorry” for everything. (lol)
There are 6 key values The World Happiness Report recognizes from the happiest places to live and we love number 7!
3) Healthy life expectancy
4) Social support
As the Founder of 365give, I am born and bred Canadian. My parents were immigrants but instilled generosity and inclusion for as long as I remember. They would remind me that I would get from the world what I gave to it. Values I wanted to pass on to my children – the reason I started 365give.
If you don’t know our story at 365give it all started as a personal parenting project between my first son Nic and I. We made a commitment to give back to the world every day for 365give days – we started on his 4th birthday, September 29th, 2013.
Along our journey we learned so much, we met so many wonderful people and our daily giving habit made us so happy. We never expected anything in return for our giving because what we received was personal happiness. But one day our giving gave us a gift a a lifetime.
On day 365 – exactly 1 year after we started – Nic received the birthday gift of a baby brother.
Now you may be thinking what does Canada Day – July 1 and Nic’s birthday – September 29th have to do with anything? Nic’s brother is adopted. He is our Canada Day baby. Born July 1 right here in Vancouver Canada! After 3 very long months of waiting we were finally able to bring him home – September 29, 2014. Exactly 1 year to the day we started 365give. Happy Birthday Tyler!
In honour of Tyler’s birthday we sent out to create a Canada Day giving list. Our daily giving continues with all of my sons (3 now!) and we hope it will inspire you to give today.
10 Ways to Give on Canada Day To Keep The World Happiness Report…Happy
1) Pick up all your picnic garbage and some extra while you are there. Let’s keep our country beautiful and clean.
2) Purchase biodegradable balloons for your celebrations.
3) Include your neighbours, family and friends in your Canada Day celebrations. Make a it a community activity.
4) Bring your own bags to the grocery store when shopping for your Canada Day Party.
5) Shop local suppliers and growers (save additional pollution in the air)
6) Ask your guests coming over to celebrate to bring a non-perishable food items you can donate to a local food bank.
7) Make and deliver a special Canadian treats like “beaver tails” or cupcakes and water to those living on the street.
8) Make it a family day: turn all devices off and dedicate this day to spending time with each other. A big give for the entire family.
9) Participate in a local indigenous peoples’ celebration embracing our history and learning about the rich traditions of our country.
10) Send a note of gratitude (or lovely social media post) to a local government official or our Prime Minister for all they do to keep our country strong and free.
Remember we are the “True North Strong and Free” thanks to all those before us and all those that serve our country every day.
Come and join our Global Community – sign up here – it’s free! Make the commitment today join The 365give Challenge. Canada Day is only once a year but as Canadian’s we can make a difference every day.