Guest Blog Post – Nicole Netelenbos Shares Her Personal Giving Story
Nicole Netelenbos started her 365give Challenge after watching our TEDx talk. This is her personal giving story. She continues to follow her daily giving ritual and wanted to share her experience and favorite gives. She kendly signed her blog post as a ‘Fellow 365 Giver’ which we love. Check out her insight below and follow her on Instagram for more inspiration.! Thank you Nicole for this inspiring story.
Nicole Netelenbos – A Happy Giving Journey on 365give
I embarked on my 365 Days of Giving journey back in January of 2018. After seeing Jacqueline Way’s TED Talk, How to Be Happy Every Day: It Will Change the World. I was so incredibly inspired, and my mind was racing with all different types of ideas of how I could give back to this world.
While I consistently try to make a difference in improving my life and the world around me, I was particularly captivated by the The 365give Challenge because it enabled me to consciously plan daily acts of altruism. So, it began, every single day for the entire calendar year. I gave to people, animals, and the environment.
From early on I noticed this way of life engendered a mutually beneficial relationship. Giving some of myself to the universe also positively impacted my own life. Daily giving felt good—really good. An inner feeling of tranquility began to bloom, and I became overjoyed by constant love and happiness. It seemed these internal feelings radiated delightful frequencies to the world around me, netting even more positive people and circumstances into my life.
I believe that positive and nourishing energy is one of the most powerful forces that humans possess. Acts of generosity and kindness to people, animals, and the environment evoke feelings of love. The more people who give, the greater the capacity for love.
After more than 365 days, this has become a way of life for me. For 2019, in addition to my daily giving, I have set a goal to enlist others in spreading love and kindness. I am doing this primarily through sharing my daily giving via my Instagram account stories @enchanting_nrg.
Top 10 Most Memorable Daily Gives In My Personal Giving Story
- Became vegan to save the animals and the environment (over 1 year now)
- Became a soccer coach to a competitive boys’ team.
- Served as a volunteer in planning and organizing a Christmas Carnival for children and families affected by Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
- Played a lead role as a top fundraiser for both the Big Brothers and Big Sisters and the South Alberta FASD Network registered charities.
- Designed a personalized bracelet for my hairdresser.
- Surprised a salesperson at the mall with a gift card to a local coffee shop (she had provided me with such great service a few days before).
- Wrote thank you cards to my former and current supervisors who have truly had a positive impact on my career and my life.
- Wrote a personal letter to a top-rated family physician for my Dad’s health concerns, and she graciously agreed to take him as her patient.
- Sent anonymous flowers with a thank you card to my family doctor and my dad’s new family doctor.
- Water Conservation – minimize toilet flushing; zero-watering of lawn; and daily recycling.
I extend kudos to Jacqueline, her family, and all the 365give volunteers for creating and sustaining this commendable movement! And to those unfamiliar with The 365give Challenge, please consider signing up and making a difference in this world by giving one day at a time.