Bring World Smile Day Into Your School With These Gives
I feel World Smile Day was meant for giving! Smiles are the best, easiest and fastest way to give! Whether you give a smile to another or make someone smile that is a give for the day! Our students can easily use smiles to get into the habit of giving every day and this give can be done in the classroom! Here are some giving ideas for your class or school that can be used on World Smile Day, and all year long to get your students in the giving habit.
Smiles Are A Great Way To Teach The Power Of Giving
- Get Your students to start a smiling circle at the beginning of the day. Have students make a circle in the classroom and play smile tag, where one student smiles at another who then has to smile at another student, and so on. Students will understand the joy they feel when they smile at another. Other students will also feel the joy when they watch each other passing smiles along.
- Ask your students to smile at one person in the school during the day. They could smile at the janitor, the admin team in the office, the Vice Principal, the Principal, students in other classrooms. They can choose who they will smile at, they just need to give another person one smile! If they want to give more, tell them to go for it!
- Compliment a fellow student for work well done, a good answer to a question, a great piece of artwork, or for being a good friend. This will ensure a smile from the person who received the compliment.
- Comfort another student if they are struggling with the homework assignment, are challenged with a game on the playground, is having a hard day, or just does not seem themselves. This kindness and awareness will bring a smile to the face of the student who is not at their best and make you smile as well, knowing that you have supported another student or friend.
- Ask someone to come and play with you or your group on the playground. Including others in a fun game, some time together, or just hanging around will bring a smile to their face.
- Sit with someone new for lunch. Ask if you can join a new person for lunch. Ask with a smile and likely you will get a smile right back!
Why We Love Smiles As A Daily Give – Celebrate World Smile Day
We love smiles as a daily give for so many reasons. First they are free. Money is not needed to give another person a smile. This makes giving a level playing field, something we believe in for all our daily gives.
Second smiles teach reciprocity and the ripple effect of giving. A smile is contagious. When you smile, you can inspires others to smile, laugh and enjoy a moment; smiles are easy to spread to others and others love to spread them around. When you see someone smiling, you can’t help but smile yourself. These simple acts of giving, these small smile moments, spread from person to person. Now how easy is that for an effective daily give
There is a physical reaction when you smile that does boost your mood. One study even suggests that smiling can help us recover faster from stress and reduce our heart rate. When you smile, your brain releases tiny molecules called neuropeptides to help fight off stress. Then other neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and endorphins come into play too and create happiness and joy. This happens you smile, this happens when other people smile. This is why smiling is such a great act of giving.
So let’s get our smiles on today! Teach your students an effective but easy way to start giving and see what they do with this information! If you want to continue to give through out the week, or even throughout the school year, have a look at our giving ideas or take the leap and get a school membership for free! Our members have free access to all of our giving resources, with teachers having even more benefits for their students, classrooms and schools. What are you waiting for!