10 Planet Gives That Will Rock Our World
In case you haven’t heard, the planet is in trouble. Global warming is causing extreme weather (like floods, droughts, and prolonged heat waves) and for the ocean levels to rise. There is a lot of information you can read about the causes, evidence and affects of climate change on the NASA website (which includes lots of links to other sources).
So what can we do, as individuals, to ensure we are taking part in looking after our earth? Small changes can make a world of difference, if everyone is willing to pitch in. Here are ten small gives that we can incorporate into our daily lives, to help rock our world.
Plant Gives Make Our Environment So Much Happier
- Eat a vegan meal at least once a week. The meat industry is a huge factor in adding to climate change. While not everyone may want to make the step of ruling-out animal products for life; being mindful of your meals and going vegan a few days in the week can certainly make a positive change.
- Limit your driving. Your car releases carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides into the air, which is harmful to the planet. Try to walk, ride a bike, or take the bus 2 or 3 days a week instead.
- Use reusable packaging. The plastic from Ziploc bags and cling film is not recyclable and really adds up. Try re-using clean, empty food and take-away packaging, or Google ‘reusable packaging’ for some cleverly designed alternatives to single-use packaging.
- Plant something. Depending on your garden size – plant a tree, some bee-friendly plants or some herbs.
- Take reusable bags to the grocery store every time you go. Keep one in your purse/bag so you will always have it.
- Remember your re-usable coffee cup for those take-out coffees. The paper cups used for take away drinks are sometimes not recyclable.
- Try packaging-free beauty products. Keep an eye out for shampoo and conditioner bars, and soaps, that don’t require bulky plastic packaging. Companies like Lush and Love, Beauty & Planet are looking for more earth-friendly alternatives.
- Limit your hair washing. The natural oils are actually better for your hair and reducing your shower time is better for the environment.
- Shop responsibly – try to buy local foods and produce whenever possible, to help reduce your grocery product mileage. As a bonus, you’ll be supporting local businesses and farmers!9*
- Reduce your garbage. Take the extra time to recycle batteries, electronics, and old clothes & textiles where possible. Of course, your plastics, cans, paper & cardboard recycling is important too, and your local council will have info on what can be included for your area.
A little extra effort can go a long way towards doing your part for the planet. Share ideas with friends and encourage others to get involved. Go to 365give for more tips and ideas to help give back to our one and only planet.