Posts tagged SPCA
Video by Playing for Change
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and 365give has 10 inspiring ideas to help you give the perfect gift for love & social good.
1) The Chocoholic: Does the one you love have a chocolate fetish? Why not give chocolate that creates social change and gives back to the planet with your purchase: One of my favourites is Alter Eco for fair trade and organic chocolate but for a great selection of socially concious chocolate take a look at this Top 10 Eco-Friendly Chocolate Treats list created by Greenopolis.
2) Roses from the Heart: Who doesn’t love to receiving flowers as a gift on Valentine`s Day especially roses as a token of your love. Consider buying Fair Trade Roses. Purchasing Fair Trade roses protects the people working hard to grow these special flowers with fair wages, protection against pesticides, and no child labour. Whole Foods is just one of the many places you can get Fair Trade roses but search online for a retailer near you.
3) The Pet Lover: Shop for the special pet in your life at the Humane Society Store and every purchase will help to support the thousands of animals rescued every year. Even better – buy one for your local SPCA animal rescue shelter and drop it off as a donation.
4) Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend: As most of us know diamonds may be a “girls best friend” but so many diamonds are associated with crime, child labour and environment stripping that it may not be the best gift for social good. Instead why not give the gift of jewellery that truly means something special. The Hunger Site features jewellery that is unique, inspiring and truly thoughtful as it gives back with every purchase.
5) For Kids Only: I still remember the days when everyone made a card for your classmates on Valentine’s Day. Instead of buying pre-made Valentine’s for your child’s class why not give a gift that will truly mean something to your child. Take the time to make cards by hand or home-made cookies that are cut with love. Spending time with your children doing creative projects is one of the greatest “gives” you can do.
6) Breakfast in Bed: I can’t resist sharing this one for the name alone and the taste is even better. Love Crunch: Dark Chocolate with Red Berries. Imagine that for Valentine’s Day breakfast. Here’s the giving kick – they follow the Bite4Bite model: for every bag purchased Nature’s Path will donate the equivalent in cash and/or organic food up to $1,000,000 a year to The Food Bank. Every bite will not only give your mouth love but it will give you love in your heart.
7) A Love Letter: What better way to show someone you truly love and appreciate them than a hand written letter. Get inspired by The Note Project and help them reach their goal of sending 1 million notes of appreciation to make the world a better place.
8) Love Song: You may be the hottest new artist to be discover on YouTube with your love song. Write a love song and load it up to YouTube for your loved one. Make a pledge that for every view you get on Valentine`s Day you will make a donation (even a penny per view makes a difference!) to your loved ones favourite charity.
9) E-Cards: Do you know how much waste is created from greeting cards every year? More than our planet possibly needs. Did you know that Americans spend more than 2 billion dollars on greeting cards alone over the holiday season? Imagine if that money went to charity instead – what if it planted a tree? Send an e-card that will truly make an impact. The Arbor Day Foundation has a selection of greeting cards that will plant a tree with every purchase. Save the planet one e-card at a time!
10) The Valentine`s Day Gift that Truly Gives. The Huffington Post and CauseCast has created the go to site for giving called The Goods. An online destination providing you with brilliant ideas for gifts that truly give this Valentine`s Day. Choose the amount you want to donate and search over 100 nonprofit organizations that truly need our support in honour of your loved one.
We can show our love for another in so many ways on February 14th. Please consider making your love count by doing some social good this Valentine`s Day. We would love to hear your great ideas for giving a gift that changes the world on Valentine`s Day. Leave a comment, send us a Tweet or post a comment on Facebook.
We can change the world one Valentine at a time.
We love all dogs, not just our own.
“That’s why, when we learned that up to 4,000,000 dogs are euthanized every year in the US and Canada simply because of a lack of room and food, we had to do something. Plus One is an innovative way to help provide dog rescues with a sustainable supply of food in order to help them foster a dog until a good home is found. But we need your help to make it work.” quoted from the Plus One Movement
My son and I were out shopping for dog biscuits this week and I came across a unique box that caught my eye for good reason. It’s tagline in bold letters was “Buy for One, Care for Two.”
The Darford dog food company started it’s very own movement to help feed abandon and rescued dogs in North America. One of the biggest challenges rescue organizations face is the ability to feed the thousands of homeless dogs. The One Plus Movement makes it easy to give.
You have 2 ways you can give a food donation:
1) As you can see from the picture the box of dog treats we purchased comes with a small bag of dog food attached directly to the box. You buy the treats and donate the food into a drop box that is provided by Darfood at the time of purchase. You can easily find participating stores from their site.
2) Enter the bar code of your purchase onto the Darford site and they will make a donation on your behalf.
Over 66,000 meals have been donated to date.
In our case the store we purchased the treats in did not have a donation box so my son and I decided we would take a little trip to our local SPCA and donated not only the small bag of food provided on the box but the entire box of dog biscuits to go with it.
Thanks Darford for the inspiration to give!
If you love dogs share your story with us on how you have given back to a dog!
Time Commitment: 1/2 hour
Many countries have one day of the year that they take a day off to rest and celebrate. Today is Canada Day and I am so proud to be Canadian. I am so proud that I want to give you ways you can give back to your community, your friends / family and your country.
Day 275: Give 275
1) Give to a Canadian Charity:
2) Attend a Canada Day Celebration in your neighbourhood / city and show your support!
3) Sing Oh Canada at least once during the day and wave a big flag. Be proud to be Canadian and show it.
4) Clean up part of our country – choose a public space that every one enjoys (park, beach) and clean up the garbage. Keep our beautiful country clean.
5) Host a picnic or BBQ to celebrate all thing Canadian. Ask your guests to bring a grocery item that could be donate to your local food bank.
What does being Canadian mean to you? How will you give back today? Leave us a comment how you will celebrate our great country today.
Time Commitment: Forever Commitment to Being Canadian