- The Science of Giving
- Intermediate Lesson Plans
- High School Lesson Plans
- Primary Lesson Plans
- Educator Resources
- Impact Tools
- Giving Ideas
- The 365give Challenge
- About Us
Posts tagged love
Video by Playing for Change
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and 365give has 10 inspiring ideas to help you give the perfect gift for love & social good.
1) The Chocoholic: Does the one you love have a chocolate fetish? Why not give chocolate that creates social change and gives back to the planet with your purchase: One of my favourites is Alter Eco for fair trade and organic chocolate but for a great selection of socially concious chocolate take a look at this Top 10 Eco-Friendly Chocolate Treats list created by Greenopolis.
2) Roses from the Heart: Who doesn’t love to receiving flowers as a gift on Valentine`s Day especially roses as a token of your love. Consider buying Fair Trade Roses. Purchasing Fair Trade roses protects the people working hard to grow these special flowers with fair wages, protection against pesticides, and no child labour. Whole Foods is just one of the many places you can get Fair Trade roses but search online for a retailer near you.
3) The Pet Lover: Shop for the special pet in your life at the Humane Society Store and every purchase will help to support the thousands of animals rescued every year. Even better – buy one for your local SPCA animal rescue shelter and drop it off as a donation.
4) Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend: As most of us know diamonds may be a “girls best friend” but so many diamonds are associated with crime, child labour and environment stripping that it may not be the best gift for social good. Instead why not give the gift of jewellery that truly means something special. The Hunger Site features jewellery that is unique, inspiring and truly thoughtful as it gives back with every purchase.
5) For Kids Only: I still remember the days when everyone made a card for your classmates on Valentine’s Day. Instead of buying pre-made Valentine’s for your child’s class why not give a gift that will truly mean something to your child. Take the time to make cards by hand or home-made cookies that are cut with love. Spending time with your children doing creative projects is one of the greatest “gives” you can do.
6) Breakfast in Bed: I can’t resist sharing this one for the name alone and the taste is even better. Love Crunch: Dark Chocolate with Red Berries. Imagine that for Valentine’s Day breakfast. Here’s the giving kick – they follow the Bite4Bite model: for every bag purchased Nature’s Path will donate the equivalent in cash and/or organic food up to $1,000,000 a year to The Food Bank. Every bite will not only give your mouth love but it will give you love in your heart.
7) A Love Letter: What better way to show someone you truly love and appreciate them than a hand written letter. Get inspired by The Note Project and help them reach their goal of sending 1 million notes of appreciation to make the world a better place.
8) Love Song: You may be the hottest new artist to be discover on YouTube with your love song. Write a love song and load it up to YouTube for your loved one. Make a pledge that for every view you get on Valentine`s Day you will make a donation (even a penny per view makes a difference!) to your loved ones favourite charity.
9) E-Cards: Do you know how much waste is created from greeting cards every year? More than our planet possibly needs. Did you know that Americans spend more than 2 billion dollars on greeting cards alone over the holiday season? Imagine if that money went to charity instead – what if it planted a tree? Send an e-card that will truly make an impact. The Arbor Day Foundation has a selection of greeting cards that will plant a tree with every purchase. Save the planet one e-card at a time!
10) The Valentine`s Day Gift that Truly Gives. The Huffington Post and CauseCast has created the go to site for giving called The Goods. An online destination providing you with brilliant ideas for gifts that truly give this Valentine`s Day. Choose the amount you want to donate and search over 100 nonprofit organizations that truly need our support in honour of your loved one.
We can show our love for another in so many ways on February 14th. Please consider making your love count by doing some social good this Valentine`s Day. We would love to hear your great ideas for giving a gift that changes the world on Valentine`s Day. Leave a comment, send us a Tweet or post a comment on Facebook.
We can change the world one Valentine at a time.
- One day with out Twitter!
- One day without Facebook!
- One day with no writing on your blog or updating your website
- One day not evening responding to the emails coming in from all over the world.
There is only one reason to let is all go when you have committed to giving every day for 365 days – A Miracle.
Day 353: Give 353
Day 352 is the ultimate 365give. Two days ago my husband and I adopted a baby boy. The #1 reason to put everything in your life on hold.
- Do you remember what it was like to hold your child in your arms for the very first time?
- Do you remember that feeling of love that washes over your entire body and soul when you look at your child?
This is a story of a miracle – a little baby boy that finally got to feel his forever families love wrapped around his heart forever.
If today is your first time reading 365give I will share my story with you. 365give was inspired by my first son, Nicolas. Nicolas was adopted by my husband and I when he was just 12 weeks old. He is my inspiration to make the world a better place. 2 days ago was a very special day – it was his 4th birthday. Exactly 1 year ago that I started 365give. (365give but due to be finished on this day but due to hacking I was shut down for 2 weeks). It is also the day we brought his brother home.
On Day 286: Giving to Help Grief I wrote a very personal story of how my husband and I had were trying to adopt a baby for the second time through the Ministry of Children and Family Development and just hours before we were to meet our second child the adoption was cancelled. This was the second time this had happened to us in the last year and half.
It was a very sad day in our house. The little boy we were already calling our son was going into foster care. I held hope in my heart that one day he would still come home – I had never met him or even seen a picture of him but I already loved him like he was my own.
1 month later we received the call we had been waiting for – our son was finally legally available for adoption. I jumped with joy as my heart sang with the words telling me my dream had come true.
But there was yet another stumbling block.
The paper work to actually get him in our house would take another month to complete. How was I possibly going to wait a month knowing my son was just a short drive away but I was not able to see him, hold him or tell him I loved him. We had to wait.
If you ever really want to learn patience in your life go through an adoption like this one. Every day that went by I felt more anxious, more fearful I would loose him again. I had to keep the faith that if we were destined to be together it would all work out. I was being told to “Let it Be.”
After weeks of waiting I could not take it any more – I was in tears from the stress and anxiety from all the weeks that had gone by and in that moment the call came. The paper work was finally ready and we would have our son home in just days.
That day has arrived and my beautiful boy is finally here. You never know how much you can love in your life until you hold a miracle in your arms.
My give of the day yesterday was to take the entire day off from social media to spend with both my sons. My “Buddha Boys” as I am now calling them. They are both “pure love.” It is easy to get so wrapped up in the world of Twitter and FB and now Google +1 but at the end of the day the most important thing in the world are our children.
They deserve our full attention, our time, and our love.
Do you have a miracle you would like to share? Send us your story. Let’s remind everyone that the world is not filled with just bad stories and miracles do happen.
Time Commitment: A life time of giving and unconditional love to my son
Do you have those days when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed.
You work long hours, you have bills piling up, the house is a mess and there is never enough time to spend with your kids.
What if on those really bad days – and the good days – you woke up and the first thing you did was to be thankful.
Day 349: Give 349
Today’s give was inspired by my friends at The Note Project. On Day 166 I featured The Note Project who’s goal is to inspire 1,000,000 notes of appreciation to be sent around the world. They believe that sending a note of appreciation can change a persons life, your own and the world. I completely agree.
Now for the magic recipe! 1 note of appreciation + being thankful everyday and you may just see some magic start to happen. If you wake up grateful every day for just one thing in your life your outlook will become more positive. It will rub off on your family, your co-workers and the world around you.
It’s the ripple effect in full force. When you are thankful in your life for what you have (not what you don’t have) it will make you more likely to give. You don’t have to have a lot to give but what a great give to tell one person in your life how thankful you are for them. What a great give to tell a co-worker how thankful you are for their support.
It turns our crazy world from an angry, sad one to one of giving and love.
The Thankfulfor project will help to remind you to be thankful every day. It’s a community of people that are sharing what they are thankful for to spread the good around.
“Research shows that saying “thank you” for the good stuff in life makes for a happier, healthier you. And it makes those around you feel pretty darn good, too. So spread the love.”
What are you thankful for in your life? Leave a comment and spread your happiness for what is good in your life.
Time Commitment: 3 minutes to sign up and write what you are thankful for today