- The Science of Giving
- Intermediate Lesson Plans
- High School Lesson Plans
- Primary Lesson Plans
- Educator Resources
- Impact Tools
- Giving Ideas
- The 365give Challenge
- About Us
Posts tagged landfill
What is the one component that can help 3rd world nations climb out of the vicious circle of poverty? Education. Educate the children (especially the girls) and you will change a generation. I truly beleive this. This give is not only from me but my friends I mobilized in Vancouver to help start a library in Africa.
Day 295: Give 295
A number of weeks ago I received a requested from an organization called African Library Project. Their mission is simple. Get books to a country that needs them desperately to help educate the children. Africa is a country that needs so much but education is a long term solution that can help change an entire country. Here are a few facts taken directly from the African Library Project that will remind us how we can give to people in our world that so desperately need our help.
- Most African children grow up without books, while U.S. & Canadian bookshelves and landfills overflow with books no longer read.
- Africa has the highest percentage of illiteracy in the world.
- Books are the key to increasing literacy, and literacy is the #1 tool out of poverty.
- Many African teachers teach reading, writing, math and English without even a single book to use as a resource.
- Many adult Africans lose their ability to read due to a lack of reading materials.
- The UN has decreed 2003-2012 the United Nations Literacy Decade to underscore the importance of literacy and basic education as major tools in building a cohesive and peaceful society for the 21st century.
The organization asks people to participate by starting a library. Anyone can start a project and you will be surprised how easy it is. This is a great project for a class to work on over the course of a school year.
Prices may very for shipping depending on where you live but 1000 children’s books will do the trick. I wanted to see if I could help a Canadian project already in progress. Through the site I found a couple in Toronto, Nick Allum and Anita Komorowski that had started a drive and I knew I could help. I had 2 trips booked to Toronto for business and I decided I would take as many books as I could get on the plane.
100 books later and some generosity by West Jet ( I was over by a bag on my latest trip) I got the books to Anita & Nick. They have just reached their 1000 goal. Now they have the books they have to send the over.
This is where I am asking for your help.
Anita and Nick have to ship the books to Africa. Because we are from Canada the shipping charges exceed the $500 cost and they could use some help getting the books there. Any amount will help but donations are needed. If you would like to help Anita and Nic please see their Facebook site or email at email@example.com. Let’s all help get these books to Africa where they are so needed.
Time Commitment: 1/2 hour collecting books
Cost: 0 all donated