Posts tagged landfill
What is the one component that can help 3rd world nations climb out of the vicious circle of poverty? Education. Educate the children (especially the girls) and you will change a generation. I truly beleive this. This give is not only from me but my friends I mobilized in Vancouver to help start a library in Africa.
Day 295: Give 295
A number of weeks ago I received a requested from an organization called African Library Project. Their mission is simple. Get books to a country that needs them desperately to help educate the children. Africa is a country that needs so much but education is a long term solution that can help change an entire country. Here are a few facts taken directly from the African Library Project that will remind us how we can give to people in our world that so desperately need our help.
- Most African children grow up without books, while U.S. & Canadian bookshelves and landfills overflow with books no longer read.
- Africa has the highest percentage of illiteracy in the world.
- Books are the key to increasing literacy, and literacy is the #1 tool out of poverty.
- Many African teachers teach reading, writing, math and English without even a single book to use as a resource.
- Many adult Africans lose their ability to read due to a lack of reading materials.
- The UN has decreed 2003-2012 the United Nations Literacy Decade to underscore the importance of literacy and basic education as major tools in building a cohesive and peaceful society for the 21st century.