Video by Playing for Change
Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and 365give has 10 inspiring ideas to help you give the perfect gift for love & social good.
1) The Chocoholic: Does the one you love have a chocolate fetish? Why not give chocolate that creates social change and gives back to the planet with your purchase: One of my favourites is Alter Eco for fair trade and organic chocolate but for a great selection of socially concious chocolate take a look at this Top 10 Eco-Friendly Chocolate Treats list created by Greenopolis.
2) Roses from the Heart: Who doesn’t love to receiving flowers as a gift on Valentine`s Day especially roses as a token of your love. Consider buying Fair Trade Roses. Purchasing Fair Trade roses protects the people working hard to grow these special flowers with fair wages, protection against pesticides, and no child labour. Whole Foods is just one of the many places you can get Fair Trade roses but search online for a retailer near you.
3) The Pet Lover: Shop for the special pet in your life at the Humane Society Store and every purchase will help to support the thousands of animals rescued every year. Even better – buy one for your local SPCA animal rescue shelter and drop it off as a donation.
4) Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend: As most of us know diamonds may be a “girls best friend” but so many diamonds are associated with crime, child labour and environment stripping that it may not be the best gift for social good. Instead why not give the gift of jewellery that truly means something special. The Hunger Site features jewellery that is unique, inspiring and truly thoughtful as it gives back with every purchase.
5) For Kids Only: I still remember the days when everyone made a card for your classmates on Valentine’s Day. Instead of buying pre-made Valentine’s for your child’s class why not give a gift that will truly mean something to your child. Take the time to make cards by hand or home-made cookies that are cut with love. Spending time with your children doing creative projects is one of the greatest “gives” you can do.
6) Breakfast in Bed: I can’t resist sharing this one for the name alone and the taste is even better. Love Crunch: Dark Chocolate with Red Berries. Imagine that for Valentine’s Day breakfast. Here’s the giving kick – they follow the Bite4Bite model: for every bag purchased Nature’s Path will donate the equivalent in cash and/or organic food up to $1,000,000 a year to The Food Bank. Every bite will not only give your mouth love but it will give you love in your heart.
7) A Love Letter: What better way to show someone you truly love and appreciate them than a hand written letter. Get inspired by The Note Project and help them reach their goal of sending 1 million notes of appreciation to make the world a better place.
8) Love Song: You may be the hottest new artist to be discover on YouTube with your love song. Write a love song and load it up to YouTube for your loved one. Make a pledge that for every view you get on Valentine`s Day you will make a donation (even a penny per view makes a difference!) to your loved ones favourite charity.
9) E-Cards: Do you know how much waste is created from greeting cards every year? More than our planet possibly needs. Did you know that Americans spend more than 2 billion dollars on greeting cards alone over the holiday season? Imagine if that money went to charity instead – what if it planted a tree? Send an e-card that will truly make an impact. The Arbor Day Foundation has a selection of greeting cards that will plant a tree with every purchase. Save the planet one e-card at a time!
10) The Valentine`s Day Gift that Truly Gives. The Huffington Post and CauseCast has created the go to site for giving called The Goods. An online destination providing you with brilliant ideas for gifts that truly give this Valentine`s Day. Choose the amount you want to donate and search over 100 nonprofit organizations that truly need our support in honour of your loved one.
We can show our love for another in so many ways on February 14th. Please consider making your love count by doing some social good this Valentine`s Day. We would love to hear your great ideas for giving a gift that changes the world on Valentine`s Day. Leave a comment, send us a Tweet or post a comment on Facebook.
We can change the world one Valentine at a time.
‘Tis the season to give but not all of us have the means to make cash donations to our favourite charities. What if instead of giving cash you did one “good deed” every day between now and Christmas. My friend Alex of @Good_Indeed on Twitter has done just that – committed to one good deed every day for 365 days, tweeting his good deed each day.
He is on day 317 of 365 days of good deeds and 365give got his very personal Top 10 favourite ways to inspire you to “do good” every day.
Guest Post by Alex D @Good_Indeed
- The same way a dirty look or a disrespectful gesture can spoil our day and contribute to our bitterness;
- The same way a smile or a helping hand can make a world of a difference and help us get closer to one another.
- Top 10 list of Good Deeds
- Day 3: Collected used batteries from my neighbours for proper recycling. Got to know them better and helped the environment. Double bonus!
- Day16: Now save energy by lowering the thermostat & unpluging evil phantom loads before I go out or go to sleep.
- Day38: Volunteered to teach in friend’s high school. Spoke about opportunities in the solar industry. Great group of kids!
- Day49: Sent nice greeting card to a stranger I randomly picked out of the phone book. #RandomActsOfKindess
- Day126: Performed at concert organized by the Harold Napper School to raise funds for Japanese disaster victims.
- Day155: Traded our Toyota for the pleasures of a nice BMW (Bus, Metro, Walk). It’s the beginning of a new, greener lifestyle.
- Day175: Prevented teenager from hurting his girlfriend. We can all help stop violence in teen couples…It starts with education.
- Day283: Bought coffee for the people behind me at the drive through. The look on their faces was priceless.
- Day287: Had long chat with a homeless man and bought him lunch. Poor guy lived from pay-check to pay-check. Lost it all when he lost his job.
- Day301: Raised $440 in 36 hours for children without a voice, as part of Free the Children’s Vow of Silence campaign.
So you want to give more but don’t have the extra money or time.
Let 365give help you find your inner philanthropist with just a click.
Here is the perfect way for you to become the philanthropist you have always wanted to be and is won’t cost you a dime or time. Just a click and you can be part of the Hanes Sock Drive by providing the Salvation Army with socks for a person in need this holiday season.
The goal is big – 250,000 by December 15th so you need to click right now. One click = one pair of socks donated by Hanes. No time, no money. Embrace your inner philanthropist and give today!
Do you have an easy way to become a philanthropist we can share with the world? Leave us a comment or send us a Tweet and we will share the giving! Happy Holidays!